Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Boards of Canada - 'Tomorrow's Harvest'

Ok let's get things straight. They're not from Canada and have not much to do with boards (other than The National Film Board of Canada from which they take their name).

Formed in 1986, the Scottish duo of Mike Sandison and Marcus Eoin create music in its purest form. Largely instrumental like their fellow countrymen Mogwai they create epic soundscapes. Enormous, gaping, resounding, sneering, jagged soundscapes. This continues in Tomorrow's Harvest. As I listen through headphones at home I am I a film. As I listen in my car, I am in a film.

THE ARTWORK


A series of overlaid images with a silhouetted San Fran skyline traversing left to right.

Look beneath the city. Is that a glaring sun with mountains and a plain? One thing's for sure the cover art matches the music. It draws you in with its bright blue before sending you lurching in the shadows and darkness. This cover gives me a sense of optimism but also of apocalypse. Does the glare come from a sun or is it the light of a nuclear explosion. The sparse landscape and grey city alluding to despair and emptiness. I prefer to consider it, like I do the music, as hopeful and looking to the future whilst accepting the past.


You can watch the video to the AMAZING 'Reach For The Dead' below:


No comments:

Post a Comment